Just as barrenness in a woman is capable of breaking a home, so also is impotence. But then what is impotence?
Impotence is the inability of a man to achieve or maintain an erection. There are two forms of impotence – primary and secondary. Men with primary impotence have never had sufficient erections for satisfactory intercourse. This form of impotence is rare and often caused by extreme psychological conditions, such as intense fear of intimacy, extreme feelings of guilt and severe anxiety.
Secondary impotence is the loss of erectile function after a period of normal function. It is the most common form of impotence in men.
What causes impotence?
Although middle-aged and older men are more likely to be impotent than younger men, impotence can strike at any adult age.
Here are the main causes of impotence:
- Disease: It is estimated that over 70% of all serious impotence cases are as the result of diabetes, kidney diseases, multiple sclerosis (abnormal hardening of body tissue such as artery), endocrine disorders, vascular diseases, neurological diseases, and high blood pressure. It is estimated that between 50% and 60% of diabetic men are impotent. It is important to know that impotence may be a symptom of another health problem. So if you are impotent, test for diabetes, high blood pressure and other related diseases to know whether the impotence is just a symptom of some other diseases in your body. And so to treat such, you must first of all treat the main cause and then the symptom would just disappear. In this case, if you are unable to detect the main disease that caused the impotence and then treat it, the impotence however you treat it, it will persist.
- Medication: Prescribed drugs used to treat high blood pressure, ulcers, depression, and prostate cancer, as well as medications used to prevent baldness or aid in dieting, can all have side effects that include impotence. In this case, the impotence lasts as long as you are taking the drugs especially when they are synthetic drugs.
- Surgery: Surgery on the spinal cord, prostate, bladder, or pelvis can lead to impotence by damaging essential nerves, tissues, muscles or arteries.
- Cigarette, alcohol and narcotics: One of the most underestimated causes of impotence is cigarette smoking. Smoking cigarette not only causes lung related problem but also causes impotence at long run. The same goes for taking alcohol and narcotics like heroin and cocaine. In fact, almost 85% of men who use cocaine regularly are impotent. If you continue to take these things, you would have bigger health problems than just impotence.
- Hormonal Imbalance: As testosterone and other male sex hormone levels start to drop after reaching middle age, impotence tends to increase. Low testosterone level is often the culprit in most intermittent impotence problems especially in older men. Lack of testosterone leads to a range of other sexual performance problems including premature ejaculation and low sex drive.
- Psychological factors: About 10% to 20% of impotence cases are the direct result of various psychological factors such as low self-esteem, depression, stress, anxiety, boredom, marital problems and negative feelings. These factors can cause impotence. Impotence caused by psychological factors is often temporary; it lasts as long as the underlying factor is still there. And so the question now is how can you distinguish between impotence caused by problems in your body and that caused by psychological factors? Remember that naturally a healthy man gains multiple erections throughout the night. These involuntary erections mean that everything is fine with the nerves, muscles, and arteries involved in the erection process, and this signals that the cause of the impotence is elsewhere. To determine this, a man can simply wet and affix a small stamp on his penis before going to bed. If the stamp is no longer in place by morning, it means that a nocturnal erection occurred which signals that the cause might be psychological.
Treating impotence without drugs
- The use of pump: A vacuum device composed of a plastic cylinder, pump and elastic ring or band can be used to affect an erection. It works as follows: The cylinder is placed on the penis and the pump is then used to draw air out of the cylinder. The vacuum forces blood into the penis, which in turn causes an erection. Once an erection is achieved, the man places the elastic ring on the base of his penis, which keeps blood from draining from his penis back into the body. The ring remains on the penis until intercourse is finished.
- The use of pure olive oil with lime. Taking two tablespoonful of olive oil mixed with lime in the morning as well as before going to bed in the night helps in treating diabetes which is one of the causes of impotence. If the primary cause of your own impotence is diabetes and you use this mixture, it would be restored though depending on the level of the diabetes.
- Reflexology: Here the reflexologist uses the thumb to apply pressure to certain reflex points. According to the principles behind reflexology, these points correspond to the reproductive areas in the body. This thumb action stimulates blood supply to the penis, encouraging an erection. Reflexology also works by stimulating the nerve path ways leading to the brain. This lowers the breathing rate in the heart and lung areas, thus helping to reduce stress.
- The use of ginger: It is believed that eating ginger literally warms up the blood, triggering blood circulation around the body including the penis. Remember that whatever increases blood circulation to the penis can help in achieving erection.
- Water melon: This refreshing fruit is rich in L-citrulline, an amino acid that helps improve blood flow to the sexual organs. It’s like nature’s Viagra (a drug used to treat impotence in men) without the side effect. L-citrulline optimizes blood flow in the body by first converting to L-arginine and then to nitric oxide, which is involved in dilation of the blood vessel. Low level of nitric oxide is associated with mental and physical fatigue and sexual dysfunction. And water melon helps in restoring that.
- The use of white onions: Boil three big white onions and squeeze out the juice, mix with honey and boil again for some time. Allow to cool and then take one spoonful three times daily. When the symptoms persist, seek for medical help.
It is important to know that for you to treat impotence effectively; you must ascertain its main cause and then deal with it.