eeping fit and healthy may seem like a towering challenge, but taking small steps everyday can help propel you towards achieving your goal without actually feeling overwhelmed.
According to the Siteman Cancer Center, more than half of all major diseases in the U.S., such as Cardiovascular disease cancer, diabetes and Osteoporosis are directly related to lifestyle choices. As a bonus, taking steps toward physical fitness also improves your mental health and energy levels. The process of aging is natural and it is not something anyone can stop from happening. As you age, your skin starts to lose its firmness or moistness and become more prone to damage. However, there are many natural ways available to slow down the aging process and look young.
Tips for Glowing with Health and Slowing Down Aging
- Ascertain your Health Status: Glowing with health begins with ascertaining your health status. Health status in this regard refers to the level of health of an individual, group or population as subjectively assessed by the individual or by more objective measures. In doing this, it is needful that everyone tries to ascertain his/her health status by visiting a hospital today for diagnosis and physical examination.
- Enhance Your Personal Hygiene: Maintaining a high personal hygiene is indisputably an aspect of glowing with health that cannot be over-stressed. Personal hygiene is the basic concept of cleaning, grooming and caring for our bodies. It can also refer to the set of practices associated with health and healthy living. Enhance your personal hygiene today, and save cost.
- Increase on Your Fibre (Veggies) intake: Making fibre a part of your every meal is sure to make you healthier. Fibre is the indigestible part of plant foods that pushes through our digestive system, absorbing water along the way and easing bowel movements. Increasing the amount of veggies and fruits you consume is an easy way to add more fiber to your diet. Foods and fruits that contain high amounts of fiber are; cereals, barley, oatmeal, apple, banana, blackberries, oranges, grape fruits, pears, beans, peas, carrots etc.
- Abstinence/ Practice of Safe Sex: Abstaining from sex is a surer way to healthy living than practicing safe sex, but it all depends on the marital status of the person in question. If you are married, the issue of abstinence as afore-mentioned is not for you. Safe sex is sexual activity in which people take precautions to protect themselves against sexually transmitted diseases such as AIDS.
- Eat Right: Choose your food wisely. Limit your intake of processed and fatty foods in favour of whole foods (natural or unprocessed foods), which tend to offer more nutrition. Always remember to choose heart-healthy cooking oils. Eat oily fishes such as herring, mackerel, sardines, kippers, pilchards, salmon, or fresh tuna. It is best to eat lean meat and poultry such as chicken.
- Break your Fast: Breakfast is about the most important meal of every day. Start each day by eating a healthy breakfast. Morning meals should be fibre-rich, low-fat milk and fruit. With these, you are sure to promote weight loss and prevent heart diseases and diabetes, according to Harvard Medical School.
- Quit Smoking: Smokers are liable to die young. Quitting smoking is one of the best things you can do for your health. Smoking increases the risks of lung cancer, stroke, coronary heart disease and other cancers.
- Limit Your Intake of Alcohol: Although drinking alcohol was found to be associated with an increased risk of breast cancer, small amounts are also thought to reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Laughter: Laughing has a way of reducing stress and slowing down aging. It improves body circulation which further makes your skin glow and younger looking. So, no matter the issues in your life, be it examination, work load, family issues, relationship problems or even health issues try to always laugh. Laughter reduces the levels of stress hormone, cortisol, and releases health enhancing hormones such as endorphins. Laughter is simply a priceless medicine. Prov. 17: 22 says, “A merry heart doeth good like a medicine but a broken sprit drieth the bones.”
- Take Time to Relax: This should be fairly easy as everyone loves to grab some downtime. The stresses and constraints of life can so get to us at times that we forget to relax, but one has to be careful not to let worries get the better of him. Stress can be very unhealthy and can cause some serious problems such as heart attacks, anxiety and depression; not to mention emotional eating. So, take some time everyday to unwind and relax yourself. Always think about potentially stressful situations in perspective.
- Get Some Sleep: Not getting enough hours of sleep at night is one of the proven causes of obesity, fatigue, anxiety, depression and a lot of other unpleasant problems. Adults need between 7 and 8 hours sleep per night to function well throughout the day. Never think you can catch up on lost sleep the next night either; once it’s gone, you can’t get it back. Hear this, getting too much sleep a night (more than 8 hours) can cause fatigue.
- Put A Check on Your Weight Gain: To glow with health, you have to try to lose weight if you are overweight or obese. If you are overweight, you can gain great health benefits by losing 5 -10% of your weight.
- Drink Water: Virtually everybody has heard all their lives that we should be drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day. People tend to ignore or at best partially obey this rule. Do not underestimate the health benefits of water. If you drink enough water every day, it will continually flush toxins out of your body, and you will be healthier.
- Do some Regular Physical Activity: Anything that gets you mildly out of breath and a little sweaty is just fine, for example – jogging, swimming, cycling, running, walking, gardening amongst others. To gain most benefit, you should do at least 30 minutes of physical activity on most days. You might decide to split it into two by having two 15 minute bouts of activity at different times in a day.
- Keep off Briny and Sugary foods: This is so simple. During food preparation, it is necessary to add a little salt, and sugary foods can so hurt your health. Avoid it.
- Get a Fruit Facial: Using any fruit of your choice like pawpaw or aloe vera to make your own facial mask by smearing then on your face for 20 -30 minutes before washing it off can help a great deal because fruits exfoliate dried-out skin and reduce melanin deposition.
- Have a Regular Medical Check-up: Regular Checkups are a valuable tool in maintaining good health. Taking proper care of your health at the right time can prevent a lot of problems in the future. The main aim of a regular check-up is to detect illnesses at an early stage, or better still prevent them from occurring in the first place.