By Bernice James
Water is life says an Igbo adage. Water gives life when you drink a clean water in the right quantity and at the right time. Water is chemically composed of two molecules of hydrogen and one molecule of oxygen. That is H2O or you can as well call it aqua. Water has healing powers; drinking water in the morning immediately upon waking up can have amazing therapeutic effects for a multitude of health conditions. It ranges from body pain, asthma to cancer and a host of diseases.
This remarkable water therapy originates from ancient Ayurvedic medicine. It is also known as Indian, Chinese, Japanese water therapy. According to Danica Collins ‘in Sanskirt, the name for the practice is ‘Usha Paana Chikitsa’ which roughly translates to ‘early morning water treatment’. It has been recognized since 18th and 19thcentury Dr. Fereydoon Batmanglelidj discovered the healing powers of water and the link between dehydration and chronic illness 17 years ago, when he was serving a jail sentence as a political prisoner in Iran. During his imprisonment, Dr Batmanghelidj used the only medicine available to him which was water to successfully treat 3,000 fellow prisoners who were suffering from stress- induced peptic ulcers. In Europe, the application of water in the treatment of fevers and other maladies had since the seventeenth century, been consistently promoted by a number of other medical writers. In the eighteenth century, taking to the waters became a fashionable pastime for the wealthy classes who decamped to resorts around Britain and Europe to cure the ills of over-consumption.
WHY WE DRINK WATER IN THE MORNING
It is said that drinking about 7 to 8 glasses of water daily is important for your health. One thing many people do not know is that having the first glass of water as soon as you wake up also comes with its therapeutic benefits. This traditional Ayurvedic treatment has benefits for conditions that range from asthma, pain to even cancer.
- 70% of the human body content is water, and so water plays an important role in the proper functioning of your body.
- The human brain cells contain about 85% of water.
- 75% of muscles is water
- Bones also contain about 25% water
- 82% of blood consists of water.
It is also helpful to consume foods that contain lots of water; for example soups (broth-based), vegetables and fruits.
It is a long known secret that drinking water as soon as you get up, i.e. before eating anything, is a good way to purify your internal system. One of the most important results of undergoing this treatment is colon cleansing, which enables better absorption of nutrients from various foods. When there is production of haematopoiesis, better known as “new blood”, you will have immense body restorative effects and you can even be cured of existing ailments.
- Make your skin glow. Water is known to purge toxins from your blood, and as a result you get glowing skin.
- Renew cells. Drinking water first thing in the morning increases the rate at which new muscle and blood cells are produced.
- Balance the lymph system. When you drink water first thing in the morning on a daily basis, you help balance your body’s lymph system. Lymph glands found in your lymph system fight infections helping you to perform your daily activities. They also balance the fluids in your body.
- Lose weight. When you consume about 16 ounces of water (chilled), you will boost your body’s metabolism by abut 24% thus help you lose those extra pounds.
- Purify the colon. When you drink water after you have woken up before eating anything, you are purifying your colon thereby making nutrients absorption easy.
- Cures illnesses and diseases. Drinking water first thing in the morning has been proven to cure illnesses such as vomiting, throat disease, menstrual and cancer disorders, eye diseases, diarrhea, urine disease, kidney disease, meningitis, TB, Arthritis, headaches among others.
HOW TO DRINK WATER IN THE MORNING FOR BEST RESULTS
- Drink 1.5 liters (5/6 glasses) of water immediately after waking up.
- Avoid drinking or eating anything else for an hour before and after drinking the water.
- Do not drink beverages that contain alcohol the previous night.
At first, you may have a hard time drinking 6 glasses of water at a go. However, it becomes easier as your body gradually becomes accustomed to the routine. When starting, you can slightly modify the routine as follows; consume 4 glasses of water, pause for about 2 minutes, then drink the remaining 2 glasses of water.
TREATMENT METHOD WITH DRINKING WATER IN THE MORNING
Findings from a Japanese medical society have discovered that water therapy can be used to treat various conditions completely. Research has also shown that those conditions can also be cured rapidly without using medical intervention or treatments. However, the effects this therapy will have on your body will also depend on the kind of water you drink. This means that you should ensure that the water you consume is clean.
- The moment you wake up, before you even brush your teeth, take 4 glasses of water (160ml).
- Clean/brush your teeth soon and don’t eat or drink anything.
- After 45 minutes, you can take your breakfast.
- After breakfast, take 2 hours before you drink or eat anything.
For people who are ill or old, taking 4 glasses of water at a go may prove difficult. Therefore, take water in small amounts until it adds up to 4 glasses daily.
- Cancer 180 days
- HBP 30 days
- TB 90 days
- Diabetes 30 days
- Gastric 10 days
- Constipation 10 days
Arthritis follow the treatment for three days in the first week, and then do it daily after the first week.
DANGERS OF NOT DRINKING ENOUGH WATER
There are some biological signs of thirst that your body displays which can be mistaken for being symptoms and signs of other conditions. If the root cause of these signs and symptoms is dehydration, you can avoid unnecessary and costly medical interventions by rehydrating your body.
In his book titled the Water Therapy and Chronic Dehydration, Batmanghelidj wrote “human beings seem to lose their sensation of thirst and the important need for water”. He continued by saying “not recognizing the need for water, humans gradually become chronically and increasingly dehydrated as they age”.
There are many doctors who also misinterpret those secondary signs & symptoms of dehydration with other unrelated diseases. Some of the conditions are:
- Breast cancer
- Uterine cancer
- Irregular menstruation
- Kidney stones
- Pulmonary Tuberculosis
- Headaches and migraine
- Rheumatoid arthritis