Friday , 3 February 2023


By Bernice James
Tragedy struck the family of Okonkwo in Affa, Udi Local Government Area when their son-Ekene, gave up the ghost after seven days in the bush where he was tied by kidnappers.

A statement by the Police Relations Officer, DSP Ebere Amaraizu, said the perpetrators of the dastardly act were nabbed by the Enugu State Command of the Nigeria Police through operatives of the Anti kidnap unit.

It was gathered that the operatives trailed the suspect to their hideouts and launched an attack on them which left them fatally injured.

The suspects, identified as Ekene Nwankwo from Okposi in Ebonyi State, Emeka Igwe from Awka-Etiti in Anambra State, and Chidi Agu from Udi in Enugu State, conspired with one Ebuka from Ameke Ngwo in Udi Local Government Area  to commit  the  crime.

It was further gathered that the deceased was abducted at gun point along Affa-Nsukka Road on the 21st of November, 2015 as he was coming back from a traditional marriage.   They later took him to a nearby bush by Old Nsukka – Abor Road, near the Ninth Mile Corner, Ngwo, where they tied his hands and legs with rope and then, contacted the deceased relations, demanding a ransome of 10 million Naira.

They also denied him food and water after beating him to a pulp.  This however, made him too weak and led to his eventual death in the bush.

On noticing that their victim had given up the ghost, they abandoned the corpse and absconded.

That led to their being tracked down by the operatives.

On their arrest, the suspects confessed to the crime and regretted their act.

Ekene Nwankwo regretted and said that it was their quest for quick money that landed them into the trouble they are in.  He also revealed that it was the search for the money to buy the items the native doctor asked them to provide for kidnapping business.

He also revealed that they never knew that their victim would die in captivity. Another suspect, Chidi Agu, confirmed that their victim would not have died if not that Ekene tied him seriously to avoid the victim from attacking and over powering them.  He attributed his involvement to frustration, even as he pleaded for forgiveness and regretted  the death of the victim.

On the other hand, Emeka Igwe said that he joined because he wanted to make money and revealed that Ebuka, who is now at large, is a major player in the kidnap.  He also pleaded for forgiveness.

Meanwhile, the deceased’s body has been deposited in the mortuary as investigation is still on-going.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


four × 4 =

Follow by Email
Follow by Email
error: !!