Friday , 3 February 2023


Former governor of Enugu State, Sullivan Chime was at the office of Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Monday 13th June 2016 in continuation of ongoing investigations into the $115m allegedly disbursed by former minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke, for the 2015 presidential election.

Chime, who was questioned by officials of the anti-graft agency at its South-East Zonal office in Enugu on Wednesday preceding his return the office of the anti graft agency for further questioning on how he handled the N450 million he received for the poll in the state. Apart from the former governor who was sighted at the commission’s office located at Independence Layout,  Enugu, other notable chieftains of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), including the chairman of the party’s 2015 campaign organization, Chief Charles Egumgbe were also seen coming out of the EFCC office.

The party leaders were linked to the said N450 million. He reportedly told detectives that he handed over the money to the Secretary of the campaign office, Mrs. Rita Mba, who was also the state’s Commissioner for Special Duties and Inter-Government Affairs.

Chime reportedly explained that the money was brought by two of his former commissioners, Joe Nmamnel and Mba, in company with Asogwa and Prof. Osita Ogbu.

The former governor was said to have stated that he gave the money to his orderly for safe keep and that only Mba should have access to it to facilitate her work as secretary of the campaign secretariat.

Sources at the EFCC zonal office in Enugu told our correspondent that Chime is expected to report again at the anti-graft agency as investigations continue into the case.

Secretary of the 2015 campaign organisation and commissioner under Chime, Rita Mbah whom the governor said he handed the money over was, however, not sighted at the commission’s office yesterday. Chime arrived the EFCC zonal office in a black Ford sports utility vehicle with Enugu registration number, CV 950 ENU at about 10:58 am and left about 13 minutes afterwards.

Chime did not speak to the media, but, Egumgbe, who managed to crack some jokes with some newsmen around, who congratulated him for “coming out of the place without being detained” simply said “I’m happy to be out” and left in his black SUV.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


five + eleven =

Follow by Email
Follow by Email
error: !!